parks & recreation – coconut cake w honey coconut glaze
Last weekend, we gathered at Brooklyn Bridge Park for the much anticipated picnic of the New York food clan. With the warmth of the sun and a cool river breeze, we spread our haul of dishes prepped at home, across two long tables, and started the charcoal on the grill. The feast could have fed 20, but we were only 10, so we gave away leftovers.
Being the hungry rabbit, I served up desserts. Our group definitely favors the savory foods, but every pleasurable meal needs a sweet ending.
In addition to a caramelized apple cake, I brought along this coconut cake that’s packed with coconut essence. I sliced and wrapped them individually with parchment for easy serving. I got rave reviews from my friends, but the only regret we had was neglecting to bring a thermos of good tea or coffee.
Coconut Cake w Honey Coconut Glaze
Honey Coconut Glaze
- 3 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut rum
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 ounces (about 3 tablespoons) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups (12 ounces) cake flour
- 2 cup (4-1/2 ounces) finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 large yolks, room temperature
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon coconut rum
- 3 cups (21 ounces) granulated sugar
- 24 tablespoons (12 ounces/3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Coconut Cake
- Honey Coconut Glaze
- Coconut flakes (optional)
- Honey (optional)
Honey Coconut Glaze
1. Place white chocolate in a small bowl. Bring coconut milk, honey, rum and salt to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and pour over white chocolate. Let sit for 1 minute, then whisk until mixture is smooth. Add cream cheese, one tablespoon at a time, whisk until glaze is smooth and creamy. Cool for 30 minutes until thickens. (If glaze is still runny, place bowl in refrigerator for 10 minutes)
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300℉. Grease and flour a 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan. Combine flour, coconut and salt in bowl. Whisk eggs and yolks, coconut milk, vanilla and rum together in 2-cup measuring cup.
2. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat sugar, butter, and cream cheese on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and very slowly add egg mixture until incorporated. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, scraping down bowl as needed, until barely combined; finish mixing batter by hand with a rubber spatula.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan and gently tap pan on counter to release air bubbles. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 90-100 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert cake from pan onto a lightly greased wire rack and cool completely, about 2 hours.
1. Drizzle Coconut Honey Glaze on top of cake and let set for 15 minutes. Drizzle honey (if use and as much as you like) on top of glaze. Sprinkle coconut flakes (if use) decoratively on top and let set for 10 minutes. Serve.