I associate two words with apple desserts—warm and cozy. Apples announce the change of season, fall foliage, and a reason to visit an orchard. After an active summer, it’s time to slow down and enjoy a slower pace.
The first couple of weeks in November may appear calm. With Halloween just behind us, we are heading toward the starting line of the holiday madness. Never mind Thanksgiving, I’ve already seen Christmas decor in store windows. The retailers are quick to remind you to get a head start—even if you haven’t yet put away your summer clothes.
This Apple Cream Cheese Tart is a great way for you to savor the autumn. Slices of crisp sweet Pink Lady apples, and a creamy cheese layer are all built on the base of a buttery crust. This easy-to-make tart not only looks impressive but will also fit into any seasonal dinner party.
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375℉. Grease edges (not bottom) of a 9-inch or 10-inch tart pan, set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar, vanilla and salt on medium speed until fully combined. Reduce speed to medium-low and add flour, beat until just combined.
3. Transfer dough to the prepared tart pan, cover with a piece of plastic wrap and press evenly into the bottom of the tart pan with fingers or the bottom of a 1/4-cup measuring cup. Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. While tart crust is baking, prepare topping and filling.
1. In a medium bowl, toss all ingredients, except almonds, together until combined, set aside.
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until creamy and fully combined. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to beat until incorporated.
2. When crust comes out of the oven, pour filling into tart pan, arrange apples decoratively on top of filling. Place tart pan on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle almond on top and bake for another 20- 25 minutes until just set. Cool completely on cooling rack.